Move-in & Move-out

Moving is easy if you know what to do! Check out all the details on what you need to know before you arrive, when you arrive and before you prepare to leave campus.

I will be living in...

Looking for moving information about...

Before I arrive at the Residence Halls

What We Provide

All residence hall rooms are fully furnished and come with the following:

Per Student

  • Extra-long twin bed (mattress is waterproof)
  • Desk and chair
  • Desk lamp
  • Three-drawer dresser (30.5" W, 24" D, x 30" H)
  • Closet space
  • Bulletin board
  • Two-drawer lockable filing cabinet (17”W x 22”D x 26”H)

Per Room

  • Rooms come in wide variety of sizes and layouts but generally provide each student with approximately 100 square feet of living space
  • Rooms have special fire-retardant curtains or blinds installed (do not replace) 
  • Fire suppression/sprinkler systems
  • Overhead light fixture
  • Smoke detector
  • Microwave/refrigerator/freezer combination unit. Apartments in Athens North, Reed and Williams Village have full-size refrigerator/freezers and a conventional oven and stove
  • High-speed wireless Internet with wired Ethernet jack capabilities
  • Operable windows
  • Whiteboard on outside of room door
  • Shower curtain (if room has attached bath)
  • 1 trash can and 1 recycle can

What to Bring

Bicycle, Bike Light and U-Lock

Lighted bike racks are located near every residence hall. Always lock your bike with a quality u-lock to secure the frame and front wheel and bring a bike light for riding at night. If you keep your bike in your room, you may not use bike hooks in the walls or ceiling. Bike registration is free, and mandatory on campus, and can be completed online. For more information on campus bicycle programs, visit the Environmental Center website

Coffee Mug

Bring a reusable coffee/tea travel mug to keep your beverages at the perfect temperature and increase your sustainability efforts.


All residents are strongly encouraged to bring a laptop computer with a dual-band wireless card. Housing & Dining Services provides a high-speed Wi-Fi network and each room is equipped with ethernet. If your device has an ethernet port, we suggest you bring a CAT 6 ethernet cable. Network support services are available through the Office of Information Technology. Additionally, students can purchase discounted PC computers through CU's partnership with Dell Computers, get valuable Mac recommendations from the CU Bookstore and download low-cost and free software.

Note: additional wireless access ports and routers of any kind are not allowed in the residence halls.

If you don't have a computer, there are many computing labs on campus.

Electronics (TV, gaming system, etc.)

You should contact your roommate(s) and agree on what large electronic items you plan to bring to campus. There likely won't be room for two of everything! For gaming systems, we also recommend bringing ethernet cables (E5 or better) for the best stability and speed. The wireless network will not currently provide the best gaming experience.

Please be aware that certain Wi-Fi capabilities on electronic devices (e.g. projecting, controlling from another device) may not work on the campus network.


Andrews, Arnett, Baker, Buckingham, Darley North, Darley South, Kittredge Central, Kittredge West, Smith and Williams Village North have air conditioning, but a small room fan can be helpful in providing some additional cooling, plus it's great for "white noise" in a busy atmosphere.

Laundry Supplies 

Bring a laundry bag or basket, plus detergent (we suggest cold-water detergent to support sustainability efforts). Each hall has pay washers and dryers for your use, and we utilize LaundryView, to make the process even easier.


Bring mattress cover, sheets, pillows and blankets. Beds are 80" long, requiring extra-long twin sheets. Linens may be purchased in many discount and department stores, and through the Residence Hall Association sponsored Residence Hall Linens Program.


Each student is provided with a lockable filing cabinet. We suggest you bring a lock with you to secure important/valuable belongings.


Small standing picture frames on your desk work best to give your room a personal touch. Be sure to check with your roommate before hanging large posters or pictures, and use only approved adhesive hangers. Do not make holes in the walls or ceiling. Fabric, tapestries, flags or banners with the longest edge exceeding three feet (36 inches) in length are prohibited on walls.

Power Strip

A power strip will provide you with all the outlets you need in your room, help keep your electronics organized and protect them against a possible power surge.

Recreation Equipment

Many halls are near recreation fields, so bring Frisbees, footballs, volleyballs and tennis rackets. Bring skis and snowboards if you have room to store them.

Renter's Insurance

The university is not responsible and does not provide insurance or financial protection for resident's personal property. Students are fully responsible for personal property and damages caused by the student while on university property. Renter's insurance is strongly encouraged and is offered through the housing application for students seeking an insurance option.

Shopping Bag

Bringing several reusable shopping bags will be convenient, environmentally friendly and a money saver. Boulder County charges $.10 per bag at all shops that sell food (including grocery stores and places like Target). 


All residents are strongly encouraged to bring their own cellular phones and service. 

A request can be made for activation of local land-line phone service in your unit for a nonrefundable fee of $500 per academic year. To make such a request, contact the Occupancy Management office at 303-492-6673 before August 1, to complete the necessary forms. Land-line phone requests submitted before August 1 will be activated before residents arrive, otherwise students making a special room phone land-line request need to allow three weeks for activation. The nonrefundable fee of $500 per academic year includes installation, activation, basic local service for a single line analog phone, and continuation of service if moved to another room. It does not include long distance minutes or telephone handset. The student must provide a basic telephone handset.

Toiletries and Towels

You may find a small tote or shower caddy helpful for carrying your toiletries to and from the bathroom.

University Documents

Keep all letters, receipts and university publications in an electronic or paper file folder.

Wellness Kit

General first-aid supplies, digital thermometer (not mercury), hand sanitizer, tissues, fever reducers (acetaminophen, ibuprofen).

Winter Wear

Colorado is beautiful in the winter, but it can get cold. We recommend bringing along a warm coat, boots, gloves/mittens and a hat. Don't forget sunscreen. At Boulder's higher elevation, the sun is dangerous even on cloudy days. Rain gear is useful year-round.


What Not to Bring

The following items are not permitted in the residence halls.

Adjustable Beds and Lofts

The residence halls offer beds that easily adjust to three different heights for storage, bunking and lofting. With a loft, a desk or other furniture fits easily under the bed.

Only university-supplied lofts are permitted. Students may submit a loft request when they receive their room assignment. The number of lofting kits is limited, as are the locations of rooms where lofting kits can be installed. Bed lofting requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a lofting request is submitted, a non-refundable fee of $115.00 will be charged to the student's Bursar account and will be due on the fall payment deadline for tuition, housing room and board, and other university fees. The fee includes initial set up and use of the bed lofting kit during the academic year. (Fee is subject to change.)

Air Conditioners and Space Heaters

Since Boulder's climate is pleasant with low humidity and mild temperatures, personal air conditioners and space heaters are not required. Regardless, they are not allowed due to their excessive power requirements and fire hazard potential.

Bottled Water

Bottled water is permitted in the residence halls, however, we encourage students to bring a refillable water bottle with them instead. Every building on campus (including residence halls) is equipped with a triple-filtered water station, providing unlimited water refills. This helps keep at least one million single-use bottles out of landfills each year!

Candles and Beanbag Chairs

These are not allowed because they are fire hazards.


The CU Boulder campus is a designated smoke-free environment, including all university residence halls. This includes all residence hall public areas such as lobbies, hallways, lounges, bathrooms and dining facilities, as well as all student rooms and living spaces. Hookahs and water pipes are considered paraphernalia and are not allowed on campus.

Cooking Appliances

Appliances not allowed include:

  • toasters
  • toaster ovens
  • hot plates
  • electric griddles
  • personal microwave ovens
  • barbecues
  • grills of any kind (including George Forman® and similar)
  • additional refrigerators

All electrical appliances must be UL-approved and have automatic shut-off. All rooms are furnished with a microwave/fridge combo, with the exception of apartments. 


The draperies used in the halls meet special fire safety standards and may not be removed. Tapestries/wall hangings/flags larger than 3x3 are considered fire hazards and are not allowed.


Firearms, explosives, incendiary devices, or other weapons, or harmless instruments designed to look like a firearm, explosive, or weapon, are not permitted in the residence halls. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, BB guns, paint ball guns, pellet guns, martial arts equipment, and swords or knives with blades over 3" in length. Violation of this policy will result in the immediate termination of your Housing & Dining Services Contract, and a disciplinary conference with the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, with a likely result of suspension from the university. You must check with the University of Colorado Police Department (303-492-6666) for information about the storage of guns, knives or other weapons.


Most types of fireworks are illegal in the state of Colorado. Absolutely no such incendiary devices are allowed in the residence halls at any time.

Heaters/Halogen Lamps/Heat Lamps

These are not allowed because they are fire hazards.


Due to the fire danger associated with hoverboards, they are not permitted in residence halls.

Nails or Screws

You are not allowed to put holes in the walls, ceilings or floors or construct permanent structures in your room.


Pets are not permitted in the buildings or on the grounds. You may have one 10-gallon aquarium for small aquatic life (turtles and fish) if your roommate(s) agree. Assistance and service animals are permitted with approval via the Disability Accommodation Request process.


Large speakers are not prohibited but we discourage students from bringing them. Not only do they take up valuable space in your room, they can be very disruptive to your neighbors.

If you decide to bring a speaker, please be aware that certain functionality may not work on the campus Wi-Fi network. Sonos speakers are currently unable to connect to the campus network.

Wi-Fi Routers

No personal Wi-Fi access points or routers are allowed to be connected to the campus network. All halls are equipped with Wi-Fi access via the campus network. For additional information about the wireless policy, visit the Office of Information Technology site.

If You Bring


If you bring a car to campus, you must buy a parking permit, costing anywhere from $168 to $198 (2017-18 rates) per semester depending on lot assignment. You can purchase your student parking permit for the upcoming semester and/or academic year online at the CU Boulder Parking and Transportation website. Parking in general is very limited on and around campus.

Consider that with your Student Bus Pass, your own bike (or a Buff Bike, Boulder B-Cycle bike or Semester Rental bike), eGo Carshare cars, the Buff Bus, the Ski Bus, Late Night Transit, the HOP shuttle and the Night Ride program, you may not need to bring a car to campus. Explore your transportation options at Parking and Transportation Services and the Student Environmental Center.


Often items will be purchased when first moving to CU, then the items are never opened and, ultimately thrown out at the end of the year. We suggest using the various stores around Boulder and purchasing items as the year progresses if possible in order to reduce waste. During closing, we have collected up to 165.5 tons of waste, some of the items having never been used. Unused items have contributed to the over 165 tons of waste that was collected during the spring 2017 closing.

Gaming System

If you bring a gaming system, we recommend you use the campus ethernet (wired) Internet and bring an ethernet cable (E5 or better). The Wi-Fi is not optimized for gaming and your experience will be far better with wired. Please note that it make take up to 30 minutes for a system to set up on the network.

Media Streaming Device

Some streaming devices work better on the campus network than others. Devices that use multicasting won't work.

  • Amazon Fire: limited to video streaming 
  • Apple TV: able to stream video, unable to screencast or mirror (projecting or controlling from another device such as iPad, phone or computer)
  • Google Chromecast: unable to connect to our wireless network
  • Roku, Blu Ray, gaming devices: that stream media should not experience issues on the network

Due to emerging technology and software updates, unfortunately we can't guarantee performance of a certain make/model of media streaming devices.

Small Appliances

Bring only UL-approved appliances with self-contained coils and automatic shut-off thermostatic controls (e.g., coffee makers, hot pots, etc.). Most cooking appliances are not permitted. See What Not to Bring.


As a resident on campus, we are pleased to offer a TV streaming service called Stream2.  This service allows you watch live TV and sports from your computer, tablet, phone, Roku and Amazon Firestick, giving you access to your favorite shows from anywhere on campus! It also comes with 20 hours of DVR recordings.  


If you plan to bring a unmanned aircraft system (UAS or drone) to campus, please make sure that you understand the university’s policies on UAS operations.


CU Boulder offers a convenient solution to transporting your belongings to your new residence hall home through UPS Home2Home

Deadline to receive packages at The UPS Store in Boulder, CO and delivered to your room for fall 2019 is August 3, 2019. You will work directly with The UPS Store to ship prior to the deadline.

Just follow the steps and your belonging will be waiting for you in your room when you arrive on campus!

  1. Create a Home2Home account (you will need a credit card)
  2. Order a box kit (costs includes shipping the kit to your home)
  3. Once you receive your box kit (or choose to ship using your own boxes), you can start packing
  4. When you have completed packing your boxes, log back into your Home2Home account and enter your box information —you will be prompted to provide size (height x length x width) and weight for each box
  5. Log back into your and select Notify The UPS Store at CU
  6. The UPS Store representative will call or email you follow-up questions, confirm labels and pick-up schedule within 24 business hours
  7. Boxes are picked up by UPS and delivered to your room on campus by The UPS Store prior to your arrival on campus

Keys to effective shipping and moving

  • Use boxes for shipping, not for moving (these boxes are much sturdier)
  • Prepare your shipment (see guidelines below)
  • Make notes of all tracking numbers
  • Confirm your hall assignment before shipping your packages
  • Only packages shipped through the Home2Home program and receive before August 3, 2018, will be in room

Contact The UPS Store with questions

Phone: 303-442-2601 x101


Website: The UPS Store

UPS recommended packaging guidelines

When I arrive at the Residence Halls

Move-in Schedules

Spring 2020 Schedule

New Incoming Spring Students

May move in for the spring semester beginning on January 9 at 9 a.m. 

Returning Students

The residence halls open for spring semester on January 10 for all students.

Move-in Instructions

Spring 2020 Move-in

When you arrive at your residence hall, you must check in at the front desk. The front desk attendants can assist you with directions and provide you with rolling bins to help you move into your room.

Before coming to campus, you will be able to find a printable temporary parking permit in our OnCampus portal. Keep this permit visible on the dashboard of your vehicle at all times while parking on campus.

Below are some helpful instructions and tips that will assist in making move-in your experience a positive one.

Move-in Parking

Before coming to campus, you will be able to find a printable temporary parking permit in our OnCampus portal. Keep this permit visible on the dashboard of your vehicle at all times while parking on campus.This permit will allow you to park next to your residence hall for 30 minutes while unloading your belongings.

Once you have unloaded your belongings you must move your vehicle to one of the long-term parking lots: Regent Parking Garage, 436, 308, 125 and 622. Please use this map to find the closest long-term parking lot. If you are keeping your car on campus, the printed permit will allow you to park in the long-term lot until regular parking permits go into effect on January 13.

If you have questions about parking permits, please contact Parking Services at 303-735-PARK (7275). For information about purchasing a student parking permit, visit the Parking Services website.

To print out your parking permit:

  • Use your identikey and password to log into our OnCampus portal
  • On the right-hand side of your dashboard, click the button labeled “Move-in Parking”
  • Click the button at the top of the page labeled “Print Permit”
  • Place permit the dashboard of your car.

Before I leave my Residence Hall

Move-out Schedules

Spring 2019

  • Students must move out within 24 hours of their last final exam
  • Student will meet with their RA before spring break to schedule a check-out and move-out date and time based on their last final exam
  • Graduation ceremonies will take place on Thursday, May 9 at 8:00 am. During the morning ceremony, there will be no parking available near residence halls on central campus
  • Students whose last final exam is scheduled on Wednesday, May 8, may check out of their residence halls during the following times:

Residence Hall

Final move-out time

Aden Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Andrews Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Arnett Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Athens North Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Baker Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Brackett Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Buckingham Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Cheyenne Arapaho Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Cockerell Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Crosman Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Darley North Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Darley South Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Farrand Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Hallett Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Kittredge Central Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Kittredge West Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Libby Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Reed Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Sewall Hall Friday, May 10, 8:00 am-12:00 pm
Smith Hall Thursday, May 9, 1:00-6:00 pm
Stearns East Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Stearns West Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Willard Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm
Williams Village North Hall Thursday, May 9, 8:00 am-1:00 pm

Preparing for Move-out

Preparing Your Room for Move-Out

Please make sure you attend the spring move-out floor meeting. Your RA will share important information with you including how to set up a mandatory room check-out with them. Make sure your room is properly prepared (use the cleaning checklist if you're unsure) before check-out to ensure you don’t accrue any charges or fees. Professional staff will compare your room move-out condition form to your room move-in condition form. Some things to keep in mind:

  • If you are traveling home during spring break, consider taking some things you won't need for the rest of the semester home with you
  • You can store items over the summer with The UPS Store, no matter where you'll be living next year
  • Give-and-Go donation bins will be available April 29-May 5 for donating unneeded items from your room. You can earn up to 50 PIPs for donating up to five items. Ask the CA on duty to scan the donation QR code
  • If it's not clear which roommate is responsible for damage, charges will be shared by all roommates
  • Notification of charges will be emailed to students within approximately four weeks of move-out at their email and the charges are posted to your Bursar account
  • If you think you have been mistakenly charged, you have 14 days from your email date to appeal
    • You (the student) may appeal in writing by contacting your hall director. Please use your email address
    • If you didn't complete the move-out room condition form with your RA, you cannot appeal charges

Key Return

  • You will also need to return your mailbox key to The UPS Store within seven days (no later than May 18) of moving out (including if you have to send it back to The UPS Store). 
  • Please return your key to the store in which your mailbox is located during their operating hours, and bring your Buff OneCard with you. Failure to return the key will result in a $45.00 lock change fee.
    • Do NOT turn in your mailbox key to the hall staff—return it only to The UPS Store
  • If you forget to return the key before leaving campus:
    • Use a bubble mailer (or other thick envelope)—keys can tear through regular paper envelopes
    • Include a note with the key with your name, mailbox number and hall
    • Send to:  The UPS Store Attn: Key Return 2480 Kittredge Loop Dr. Boulder, CO 80310

Change of Address

Your USPS mail will automatically be forwarded to your permanent address for 90 days. If you would like mail delivered to an address different from your permanent address, you can request it in two ways:

  • Go to one of The UPS Store where you receive you mail and speak directly with one of the front counter associates, OR
  • Send The UPS Store an email at with your full name and your new address. In the subject line, write: Change of Address

UPS will forward all first-class mail and parcels for 90 days. Pre-sorted standard and non-profit mail will be recycled. If you receive mail from carriers other than USPS (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.) you will be notified via your campus email address with the following options:

  • You can pay to have the package forwarded to you
  • You can pick up the package at The UPS Store
  • You can have the package returned to sender

If no action is taken, the package will automatically be returned to sender within several weeks of being received by The UPS Store.


The UPS Store® locations at CU Boulder offer a summer storage program for all returning students both on and off-campus. This program offers a variety of sizes and options for your selection.It’s simple. The UPS Store® provides the box—you fill it up and return it to one of our conveniently located stores on the campus. They seal it, store it for the summer off-site in a climate-controlled, secured warehouse and have it awaiting your return for pick-up. The items will be available at your choice of on-campus locations at a convenient time during move-in.**

For additional information or to secure your summer storage, please visit or call 303-442-2601 ext. 101.


The UPS Store® locations at CU Boulder offer everything you need for shipping. Let our certified packing experts help you select from our competitively priced shipping options and variety of packaging materials. Their certified packaging experts are great resources for fragile and high-end items. Every item they pack comes with their Pack and Ship Guarantee: If we pack it and ship it, it's 100% guaranteed!

"Give-and-Go" Donation Drive

Housing & Dining Services partners with the Environmental Center (E-Center) each year to create the Give-and-Go Donation Drive. The items collected are given to various local charities including Salvation Army, Globe Med, Boulder County Homeless Shelter, Emergency Family Assistance, Resource Central, US Again and Community Food Share to be repurposed. Did you know that each year we collect over 150 tons of reusable items at move-out?! There will be red donation bins in all residence halls and Bear Creek apartments. Moving out—don't throw it out, donate it! The drive begins Monday, April 29 and ends Sunday, May 5. Collected items include:

Appliances (large and small) Hangers Skis/snowboards
Arts and crafts items Jewelry Small electronics
Bicycles Non-perishable food Small furniture
Books Office supplies Small rugs
CDs, DVDs, clocks Personal care products Sporting goods
Clothing, hats, purses, shoes Pillows/bedding Tools
Foam bed pads Pots/pans/dishes/silverware TVs/stereos/games

We will NOT ACCEPT the following items:

Barbecues Perishable food Broken furniture
Rug pads Mattresses/Bed pads Hazardous materials

Bike Donation Drive

If you would like to donate your bicycle before leaving, please drop it off at the UMC bike station May 3 where they will be refurbished and sold at the annual bike sale in the fall.

May 6-8, the following areas on campus will also be set up to take your bike:

  • UMC bike station
  • Williams Village 
  • Kittredge 

At those same locations, you can also arrange for summer bike storage:

  • Summer bike storage: $10
  • Summer bike storage plus a tune-up: $30

Check out the CU Bicycle Program website for more information

Move-out Day

Building Access for Family & Guests

Please contact your student when you arrive at their residence hall so they can give you access to the building.


During move out, parking staff will be available to direct traffic during the following dates/times:

  • Tuesday, May 8, 12 pm – 5 pm
  • Wednesday, May 9, 8 am – 5 pm

Please note: due to commencement activities, all central campus residence halls will not allow vehicle access for move out between 7 am and 1 pm on Thursday, May 10. Please check the move-out schedules page to find your hall's scheduled move-out time for that day. 

Moving Carts/Bins

There are a limited number of wheelie moving carts available to help with student move-out. They can be checked out at the residence hall community center by showing them your Buff OneCard.

Room Cleaning Checklist

Here is a printable checklist for your convenience. 

Checking Out

  • Rooms should be clean, free of trash and belongings
  • Complete room damage form with RA
  • After successfully checking out with your RA, you will receive a Room Check Verification Form
  • You will need to go to your building front desk with the completed Room Check Verification Form to complete the check-out process. Failing to do so may result in additional charges or fees


If there has been damage to the room or furnishings beyond normal wear-and-tear, the student may have charges added to their bursar account. They will be notified of any fees within four weeks of checking out. Additional information about fines, charges and how to appeal, please visit the preparing your room for check-out section. 

Leaving for Breaks

During fall and spring breaks, students may stay in their residence hall rooms, however, during winter break all students must vacate their rooms for the duration of the break*. Anytime you leave campus for more than several days, the tips below are great to keep in mind, but particularly during break periods.

*Students with academic year plus breaks may stay in their rooms during all breaks.

General Information

  • Residents must vacate their room no later than 24 hours after their last final before winter break
  • Windows are closed and locked
  • Drapes closed
  • Electrical appliances are unplugged
  • Micro-fridges are cleaned and set to low
  • Heaters set on low
  • Trash and recycling is removed from the building
  • Remember to pack all important documents or valuable items such as plane tickets, ID and passport, jewelry, medicines, etc.
  • Lights turned off
  • Room door locked
  • Students with open spaces in their room are expected to have the space ready for a new spring semester roommate and roommate information will be emailed as it becomes available (during winter break only)

Repairs During Winter Break

After the residence halls close, each room is inspected by Residence Life staff to ensure that the building has been properly prepared for the semester break period. As needed, other Housing & Dining Services staff may enter student rooms over the break period to address maintenance concerns, replace smoke detector batteries, or to ensure that the building continues to be secure. 

  • Make sure any breakable objects are stored safely away.
  • Clear all personal items from floor to prevent damage in case of water pipe or radiator leaks.
  • In some residence halls, residents will be notified of any other specific actions they will need to take to prepare their room for special maintenance work.

No Access to Halls During Break

During winter break all halls with the exception of Reed Hall and Willard Hall (to accommodate academic year plus breaks contract holders) will be closed and locked. Residents should also remember to take airline tickets, clothes, skis/snowboards, passports, medicine or other items that will be needed during the break period.

*Residents with academic year plus breaks contracts are exempt from this policy

Looking for moving information about...

Before I arrive at Graduate & Family Housing

What we provide

All apartments, whether furnished or unfurnished, have the following appliances or fixtures installed: 

  • Stove
  • Oven
  • Furnace or heating system
  • Hot water heater or central boilers
  • Refrigerator
  • Light fixtures

All apartments are set up with wireless Internet and have cable television outlets. Once you arrive, you will need to go to the Comcast store to pick up cable equipment. Residents receive a basic cable package as part of your rental. If your cable connection isn't working, please call Comcast directly at 1-855-307-4896. 

Furnished apartments are rented fully furnished, and items may not be removed from furnished apartments prior to your move-in. 


Vacuum cleaners and dollies/hand carts are available to assist with your move-in process. Please see the Graduate & Family Housing Office or your resident manager to check out equipment for up to 24 hours. Charges may incur if equipment is returned with damage.

What to Bring

We recommend that you purchase renter’s insurance for all of your valuable personal belongings.

Graduate and family apartments do not provide small appliances such as coffee makers and toasters. You may bring your own small appliances to your apartment, but please note that if during an inspection an extension cord, adapter, power strip or circuit break is overloaded, you will be asked to discontinue use of the appliance. 

Furnished apartments are equipped with furniture and large kitchen appliances (stove, fridge, etc.) but not other items. Residents will need to bring bed linens, towels, dishware, pots/pans, utensils, etc.

Air conditioners are allowed in the apartments, however, residents are responsible for installing the unit and any damage that may occur as a result of the installation or use of the air conditioner. Please view the resident handbook for more information Space heaters are not permitted. 

What Not to Bring

Antennas, Satellite Dishes and Cable

All apartments have television cable outlets. Residents of Graduate & Family Housing are not permitted to attach exterior radio or television antennas, or satellite dishes of any type. No alteration to cable television outlets or wiring is allowed. Residents are held responsible for charges if additional cable services and/or repairs are requested. If your cable connection isn’t working, please call Comcast directly at 1-855-307-4896.


Large appliances are only allowed in apartments that have hookups to accommodate them. Washing machines are allowed in apartments with washer hookups. Dryers are not allowed. Dishwashers are only allowed in apartments that have their own water heater. Air conditioners are allowed in the apartments, however, residents are responsible for installing the unit and any damage that may occur as a result of the installation or use of the air conditioner. Please view the resident handbook for more information. Space heaters and additional refrigerators or freezers are also not permitted.

Bottled Water

As part of CU’s commitment to sustainability, we provide water bottle refill stations in every building that offer triple filtered water—without the waste. At orientation, you will receive a reusable water bottle that you can use at any of these stations, so there is no need to pack in the bottled water. Ditch the plastic and choose to reuse. 


The possession, use, sale, manufacture or distribution of illegal drugs, including marijuana and drug paraphernalia (pipes, rolling papers, bongs, etc.), are not permitted in Graduate & Family Housing. They are violations to state laws, university policy and your lease agreement. If violations are found, disciplinary action will be taken according to the Student Code of Conduct found in the pamphlet with the website to the University of Colorado Student’s Rights and Responsibilities Regarding Standards of Conduct.


Internet service is provided through Comcast. Once you move in you will need to go to Comcast to receive your wireless router/modem. If you have problems with your internet service please contact Comcast at 1-855-307-4896


Boulder fire prevention ordinances and family housing policy prohibit the manufacture, sale, use and possession of all fireworks (including sparklers) anywhere within city limits and all of Graduate & Family Housing.


  • NO  grills of any kind are allowed in Graduate & Family Housing.

Firearms and Weapons

Firearms, explosives, ammunition and dangerous weapons/materials are not permitted anywhere in Graduate & Family Housing. Colorado law defines a dangerous weapon as an instrument that is designed to, or likely to, produce bodily harm. Weapons may include, but are not limited to, BB guns, paint-pellet guns, starter pistols, blow-dart guns, slingshots, martial arts devices, bowie knives, daggers or similar knives (blades over 3 1/2” in length), or switch blades.

Weapons used for sporting purposes may be stored with the security section of the university police. However, before bringing any weapons to campus, call CUPD at 303-492-6666 to determine what kinds of weapons may be stored and the procedure for storing them. Residents who violate this policy are subject to severe disciplinary action, including lease termination and/or expulsion from the university.


Except for service and therapy animals (such as guide dogs), no pets or animals may be brought into Graduate & Family Housing. (Documentation of need for service/therapy pet required.) Exception: Fish are permitted in an aquarium not to exceed 30 gallons in volume. Amphibious creatures, reptiles (including lizards and snakes), or fish that are dangerous or harmful to humans, are not allowed. Pets are allowed in expansion units with some restriction. Call the office for details. Guests are also not allowed to bring pets into Graduate & Family Housing.

Smoking Policy

The University of Colorado, including Graduate & Family Housing, is a smoke-free campus. This means that no one is allowed to smoke in any apartment, including guests. Also, smoking is not allowed in hallways, balconies, lobbies, building entrances, parking lots, playgrounds or green spaces. Residents who smoke on graduate and family housing property will receive a warning letter for their first violation. A resident who receives a second letter will be put on probation. If residents are sent a third letter, their lease will be terminated.

Paying Rent

Housing & Dining Services accepts checks, money orders and cashier/certified checks through the mail or delivered directly to the Bear Creek, Graduate & Family Housing and Cashiers (C4C) offices for standard payment of rent, which is typically due no later than the first of each month. No cash will be accepted for rent payments due to liability restrictions.

Online rent payment is available through the housing application portal. The step-by-step online payment instructions are available for viewing to help you prepare for the process.

Please note, online payment is an added service for our residents, terms and conditions may change at any time without notice, and may be cancelled without notice should there be reason to stop accepting online payments. Should the online payment system not be available, rent is still due on the first of each month; please mail or drop your payment to the Housing & Dining Services Cashier’s Office, located in the Center for Community (C4C) in Suite S300.

Residents without a U.S. Bank Account

In order to use the online payment system you will need to have a checking account with a bank in the United States.

If you do not have a U.S. bank account you may want to consider opening an account at a local bank or credit union. It is important to compare fees and services to determine which bank is the best fit for you. Some banks may offer free checking or savings accounts, others may require that a certain minimum amount of money be in an account, or may yield higher interest rates.

When you are setting up your account, take your Buff OneCard, passport and the funds you intend to deposit with you. You can also bring your I-20 or DS-2019 as additional proof of your status in the U.S. and affiliation with CU Boulder.

Banks in Boulder that do NOT require a Social Security Number to open an account: Chase, First Bank, US Bank and Wells Fargo. Please note: individuals from countries subject to U.S. sanctions may require additional documentation.

Elevations Credit Union has a branch conveniently located on-campus in the University Memorial Center. They require that you provide either a Social Security Number or proof that you have applied for one (SSN application receipt). 

Questions? Contact the Bear Creek Apartments office via email or phone 303-735-2275 or the Graduate & Family Housing Office via email or phone 303-492-6384.

Parking Permits

Assigned lot parking permits are issued (with proof of valid registration) when you check in to Graduate & Family Housing and then renewed once a year. You receive one free permit. You will be notified through the monthly newsletter about when to come to the Graduate & Family Housing Office to renew your assigned lot parking permit(s). Each vehicle, trailer or motorcycle you own must display a current parking permit. Please notify the Graduate & Family Housing Office with changes regarding your vehicles.

Your Permit

Parking permits should hang from the rearview mirror. The permits identify which lots you can use to park your car. Return the permit(s) to the Graduate & Family Housing Office upon checkout or a lost permit charge is assessed to your account. There is a permit replacement cost of $10 for each lost or stolen permit.

Visitor Permits

The Graduate & Family Housing Office and your resident manager are able to give you temporary parking permits for your guests. Temporary parking permits are only valid for overflow lots. Graduate and family housing parking lots have designated two-hour visitor parking spots. If you have visitors staying longer than two hours you will need to get a temporary permit for them. You may obtain temporary parking permits for a maximum of three consecutive weeks. If a guest will be staying with you for over a week, you must inform the Graduate & Family Housing Office and your resident manager.

Additional Permits

There is a $10 monthly fee for each additional assigned lot parking permit. Fees for secondary car permits should be paid with the monthly rent.

The first permit enables residents to park in most lots around each court. The second permit is only issued for the overflow lots in the area. These permits do not allow residents to park in staff or visitor spaces. 

Buff OneCard

All residents of Graduate & Family Housing are eligible for a Buff OneCard. Students can apply for their card either by visiting the Buff OneCard website or by going to the Buff OneCard Office in the Center for Community, room N180.

The cost is included in the student fees.

Non-student residents may get their card at the Buff OneCard Office for a fee.

When I arrive at Graduate & Family Housing

Checking In

Move-in/Move-out Dates

The Graduate & Family Housing lease expires every July 15. It is renewable on that date as long as the resident provides proof of full-time university affiliation for the upcoming fall semester. Faculty, staff and all other non-students are eligible to live in Graduate & Family Housing for up to two calendar years.

The best part: residents can move out of Graduate & Family Housing at any time, provided 45-days notice is given. Graduate & Family Housing charges 45 days rent from the day residents submit the required Intent to Vacate form filled out at the Graduate & Family Housing Office.


Contact your resident manager within two weeks of signing your lease to schedule a walk-through. Your resident manager will come to your apartment to complete the check-in form with you and review the condition of your apartment. Damage such as nail holes, chipped tiles, burned countertops, or worn and discolored carpet areas should be noted on the form. Dripping faucets, closet doors off the track, torn window screens, and other items should also be noted so you can request repair service on them.

It is to your advantage to be as thorough as possible during your check-in. Any problems that exist when you move into your apartment, and are not repaired while you live in the apartment, are not considered your responsibility. You will not be charged for such items when you move out.

What to Expect

When you arrive on campus to move in:

  • Go to the Graduate & Family Housing Office, located at 1350 20th St., Boulder CO, 80302
  • Sign your lease agreement and pay your prorated rent (if you have not already done so)
  • Receive a check-in packet with pertinent information
  • You will pick up your keys
  • Receive your parking permit(s)
  • Be directed to your new home

Before I leave Graduate & Family Housing

Vacating Instructions


You are required to provide Graduate & Family Housing at least 45 days notice before vacating your apartment. If a 45-days notice is not given, you will be charged rent for 45 days beginning on the date the Intent to Vacate (ITV) form is given to our office. If you give more than 45 days notice, rent continues until the vacate date stated on the form. IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU CHECK OUT NO LATER THAN THE DATE YOU HAVE INDICATED. YOUR APARTMENT WILL BE RENTED TO ANOTHER RESIDENT ACCORDING TO YOUR VACATE DATE.

If for any reason you must change the date on which you will vacate your apartment or cancel your ITV entirely, there will be a $100 administrative charge. If your apartment has already been offered to someone else, you will not be able to change your vacate date or cancel your ITV.


  • All keys and parking permits issued must be turned in no later than midnight on your vacate date. 
    • If all apartment keys are not returned when you vacate your apartment, you will be charged $45 for an apartment lock change. If all mailbox keys aren’t returned, you will be charged $20 for a mailbox lock change. 
    • If you do not turn in your parking permit, you will be charged $10 for each parking permit that is not turned in. 
  • If you continue to occupy the apartment past the vacate date you submitted to the office, you will be charged rent for each day until the apartment is vacated and keys returned, plus a liquidated damages fee of $250 per day until keys are returned to the office.
    • In the event that you do not vacate your apartment on time, you could be held financially responsible for any charged incurred by either Graduate & Family Housing and/or the incoming resident if they are not able to move in on time–including but not limited to additional truck rental, hotel, meals, etc.


Your entire housing deposit will be refunded unless there are outstanding rent charges, lock/key charges, outstanding charges from the CU Children’s Center, appliances and furniture not in the condition which you received them (as verified by your check-in sheet), or the apartment being left dirty or damaged. These charges will be deducted from your security deposit.


You cannot use your security deposit to pay for the last month’s rent. Please check with the Graduate & Family Housing Office for details. If the balance on your account is over $100 on the 10th of the month, you will be charged a late fee.

Forwarding Address

Please give a forwarding address when you fill out your intent to vacate form. If a refund is due, it will be mailed to you within 30-60 days or will be processed through direct deposit (if a voided check is provided prior to moving out). Please file a change of address form with the local post office.

Cleaning/Preparation Checklist 

It is the responsibility of the renter(s) to thoroughly clean the apartment before vacating. You can find a detailed cleaning checklist to assist you.


Please see the charge sheet for fees relating to cleaning, missing items and damages. You will be charged for anything that hasn’t been cleaned and for the disposal of any items left in the apartment or storage unit. The university environmental services staff will do the cleaning of the drapes and the stripping and waxing of floors.

Excess Charges

When charges against a unit exceed the amount of deposit, you will receive a letter from the Graduate & Family Housing finance office regarding the amount owed to the university. If payment is not made in a timely manner the resident’s name is placed on the university debt file list. This action denies a student’s registration, transfer of credits or graduation until the amount due is paid. Additional charges deducted from your deposit may include rent due, cleaning, damages, utilities, daycare, lock changes, lost permits, etc.

If you are due a refund, the Housing Cashier's Office will send a check to the address that you provided on the Intent to Vacate form. If you have questions regarding your refund or payment please contact the Graduate & Family Housing finance office at 303-492-1442. 

Personal Possessions

Any personal possessions left in the apartment, on patios and doorsteps or in the storage unit shall become the property of the University of Colorado as stated in the Graduate & Family Housing Lease. The University of Colorado assesses a charge of $24 per hour for removal of any abandoned items (a minimum charge for two hours of cleaning or $48 will automatically be assessed). Do not leave any broken or unusable items on the laundry give-away tables.

Utilities and Telephone Service

If you are paying your own utilities, please call Xcel Energy at 303-623-1234 to have the name switched over to the University of Colorado on your vacate date.

Driving on Lawns and Sidewalks

Motor vehicles of all kinds are prohibited from driving on sidewalks or lawns, including vans and trucks for moving. The possibility of damage to lawns and sprinkler heads, as well as danger to children in the area, requires that vacating residents adhere to this rule. You will be charged for any damages to family housing lawns and/or sprinkler heads.

Final Inspection

To avoid any unnecessary charges, please ensure you follow all vacating directions and utilize the provided cleaning checklist and final inspection sheet provided. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Graduate & Family Housing Office at 303-492-6384.

Final Check Out

Please note: We do schedule a preliminary check out at the request of the resident. Final check out is done by staff after you have turned your keys in to the office. You may call our office 10 business days after vacating to inquire about charges that may have been assessed.

There are two ways to turn in all of your keys and any parking permits when vacating:

  1. Bring all of the keys and parking permits to the office during Graduate & Family Housing office hours (Monday through Saturday, 9:00am to 8:00pm).
  2. After hours, put all keys and parking permits in an envelope and drop it in the secure rent deposit box. It is located under the counter in the entryway next to the Graduate & Family Housing office door.

Make sure to lock your door before you turn in your keys. Shortly after you hand in your keys and parking permits, a staff member will check your apartment for damages.

Lease Termination

The most common reasons for the university to terminate a Graduate & Family Housing lease with a resident are:

  • Failure to pay rent charges on time.
  • Change in family or student status (e.g., residence is over capacity or student is otherwise ineligible for current apartment assignment).
  • Violation of the lease.
  • Limited lease policy for faculty/staff members.

Student Felony Admit Review Committee (SFARC)

If, after agreeing to the Graduate & Family Housing Lease Agreement, a resident is convicted of, found guilty of, or adjudicated to have committed a sex offense; or if a resident is classified as a sex offender or placed under active supervision by any jurisdiction for a sex offense; the resident is required to immediately notify the university’s police department and the housing and business operations manager of Graduate & Family Housing. In addition, a determination by SFARC and the dean of students will be made on whether or not the student will be allowed to continue to reside in the university owned or operated housing.


All student residents must be full-time, degree-seeking, students in order to qualify to live in Graduate & Family Housing. If you are graduating, you must fill out an Intent to Vacate form 45 days before you move out. Be aware that there are specific dates by which graduates must vacate, and therefore must fill out the Intent to Vacate form 45 days prior to these dates. Failure to do this will result in charges.

  • If you graduate in May, you must move out no later than July 15.
  • December graduates must move out no later than December 31.
  • August graduates must move out the Sunday after graduation.

Leave of Absence

The University of Colorado has a Leave of Absence program that provides an opportunity for you to leave the university for a semester without losing your place in your current college/school. You must be in good academic standing and have the dean’s approval. Re-enrollment in the university is guaranteed when you return.

For Graduate & Family Housing purposes, you may go on the Leave of Absence program for one semester only.

For more specifics, contact the Office of the Registrar at 303-492-8673.

Vacation/Break Instructions

Before you leave for a vacation or break, please ensure your apartment is properly secured and prepared.

  • Turn off all lights and appliances (leave refrigerator on and plugged in)
  • Turn off all alarm clocks
  • Check that water faucets are turned off and not dripping
  • Remove all trash and recycling
  • In winter, make sure that the thermostat is set to 65 degrees (Fahrenheit) will ensure pipes don't freeze/burst if there is extremely cold weather
  • Be sure to stop newspaper deliveries and inform the post office of the dates you will be away so that they can hold your mail
  • Please notify your resident manager or the Graduate & Family Housing Office 


You will receive an email with instructions, including Bear Creek's move-in date and times. When you arrive, you will check-in and receive access to your room. Mailbox keys will be available for pick-up at The UPS Store located in the Village Center. A limited amount of carts will be available to help you move your belongings.

What we Provide

  • Basic living room furniture
  • Window blinds
  • Full kitchen (refrigerator, stove, oven, sink with disposal, microwave)
  • Bed, desk and chair, dresser, closet
  • Satellite television service
  • Wired and Wi-Fi internet
  • Vacuums available for check-out

What we do not Provide

  • Sheets, towels, pillows, blankets, etc.
  • Kitchen: pots, pans, plates, cups, glasses, silverware, etc.
  • Television, electronics, electronic cables
  • Computers
  • Laundry and cleaning supplies
  • Hardware tools
  • Countertop appliances


Additional Bear Creek move-in/move-out information is available on the Bear Creek website.

You can also find specific policies, rules and regulations in the Bear Creek Handbook.


Bear Creek Apartments